Just last week twitter celebrated its 5th birthday and yesterday, I celebrated my 4th birthday on twitter. My first tweet on twitter can be seen below. Now 4 years later I sent 44,606 tweets, have 1,405 followers and follow 1,150 people.
Did twitter change my life? Indirectly yes. It opened up a new way of passing a message and also made it easier to communicate with people you haven’t met (yet). Before you needed to get someone’s email address or phone number, now a simple mention(@) can already open up doors that normally remained closed. Next to that, you can easily engage with people whose interest you share or participate in discussion about a certain topic. To me twitter is the following;
A coffee corner chat without being physically in the same coffee corner
Some of my big things on twitter:
- Being asked by @haroldkuepers to join him for the IFA and even later to join @stylecowboys
- Being invited to the STS132 NASA tweetup
- Join @sergiobrotons and @angelalosasso to M2C
- Launching Vastelaovend in Limburg together with @lgespee and @dennislaumen and using twitter to get more editors
- My countless travel updates throughout the years
- Winning a contest on twitter hosted by @weekendjeweg and going to Euro Disney and Paris for New Years Eve
- Being featured in the Elsevier when I got the first Nexus One in the Netherlands
- Being asked to participate in the Dutch IQ test on TV
- Have my picture featured on ePrint Live hosted by HP
- Attending the first iPad tweetup hosted by @stylecowboys
- Attending the first DroidCon in Belgium, thanks to @androidworld
- Becoming an HP Social Media Ambassador (@hp_listens, together with @hpsupport)
- Becoming great friends with @lizathp and @brynaathp without ever meeting them!
- And of course all the friends I gained by using twitter
Did twitter change your life? When will you celebrate a milestone on twitter and what was your first tweet? Let me know!